- Thursday May 21st, 12:30 to 3:30 PM
- You must provide proof of having the book, or buy the ebook
- You must have access to a computer for the videoconferencing and the training
Heart & Stroke’s traditional classroom-based, instructor-led Basic Life Support (BLS) course has been re-factored to enable virtual learning facilitated by an instructor during the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal of this program is to support healthcare services who are attempting to ensure the maintenance of quality patient care in the on-boarding of retired personnel, the movement of clinicians from non-patient care areas, and solidifying the knowledge and abilities of the existing workforce. This virtual cognitive course is intended to address the challenge of mobilizing face-to-face sessions and conducting skills practice and testing during the contact precautions mandated by Health Canada and Public Health Agencies by offering an alternative formula.
BLS is the foundation for saving lives. This course covers single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both pre-hospital and in-facility environments, with a focus on high-quality CPR and team dynamics.
It will train you to quickly recognize several life-threatening emergencies and provides instruction in the delivery of high-quality chest compressions, ventilations and early AED use through simulated clinical scenarios.
Part 1 – Virtual Cognitive
What is Virtual Cognitive Learning
This virtual session is facilitated by a Heart & Stroke instructor. It leverages videoconference technology (locally or freely available online) with Heart & Stroke’s portal and virtual learning platform. Students will join their instructor in a “virtual classroom” where they can interact with classmates, engage in discussion, ask questions and gain a strong understanding of:
- The Chain of Survival™
- Multi-rescuer resuscitation
- Team dynamics
- The foundational and life-saving skills of chest compressions, ventilations and defibrillation
- Techniques to relieve choking
- The use of a barrier device and bag-valve-mask device
Audience for BLS Interim Learning
Healthcare providers and emergency medical professionals working in the service of patient care during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- An individual Heart & Stroke Resuscitation portal account
- Internet connection
- Computer or device with speakers and microphone or combination microphone/headset
- Install and test the videoconference software required by your instructor before course
~ 3 hours (including virtually proctored knowledge exam)
Required Manual:Basic Life Support Provider Manual
Course Completion Card
BLS Interim Training – Part 1 – Virtual Cognitive LearningValid until July 31, 2020